"DUNTERTON, a small scattered parish, in the Tamar valley, 7½ miles N.W. by W. of Tavistock, has only 212 souls, and 1161 acres of land, including Eastacott hamlet. Arthur Kelly, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. The Church (All Saints,) is an ancient edifice, mostly in the decorated style, with a fine tower and three bells. In Chapel field are the remains of a chantry chapel, converted into a cow-house. The Rev. N.T.W. Royce is patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £8. 7s. 1d., and having a good residence, and 70½A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842, for £210 per annum. In the valley is a fine waterfall, flowing to the Tamar over a rocky precipice 100 feet high. Directory :- Rev. Nathanl. Thos. W. Royse, Rectory; John Reath, shopkeeper; and James Fitze, Wm. Harris, Wm. Lark, John and Rd. Mason, Johanna Reath, and John Spear, farmers.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and Diocese of Exeter.
Nick Mayne has prepared an index to the 1891 census, and is prepared to check for particular names in it on request.