"EAST OGWELL, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 2 miles W. of Newton-Abbot station and post town, and 8 N.E. of Totnes. It is situated near the great western road leading to Teignmouth, in the celebrated Bradley Vale. The parish contains the hamlet of Holbean. There are several quarries of limestone; and iron, manganese, and marble are found, the last being of a very fine quality. In May, 1595, the greater part of the village was destroyed by fire. It is now a small agricultural village. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £245, and the glebe comprises 2 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £180. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a plain stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. In the interior of the church are an ancient font, and monuments. The charities amount to about £13 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, with a small endowment. Pierce G. E. Taylor, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil.