Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
OGWELL, EAST. St. Bartholomew. The church consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and embattled west tower with three bells; the first is plain, the second is inscribed "Ave Maria" in Lombardic characters, the third has the words"Voce mea viva depell cuucta nociva." There is a small south transept built by the Reynell family over their vault.
There is a rood screen of Perpendicular character [plate 173] and an early font.
The registers date: baptisms, 1674; marriages, 1675; burials, 1674.