"PORTLEMOUTH, (EAST) a small village, five miles S. of Kingsbridge, is picturesquely seated on an eminence on the east side of Salcombe haven, near its confluence with the sea. Its parish contains 429 souls, and 1973 acres of land, including Rickham and Holset hamlets, and bounded on the south by the lofty cliffs, extending to Prawle Point. An entrenchment on the hill is supposed to have been used in assaulting Salcombe Castle, on the opposite side of the estuary. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor of Portlemouth, but that of West Prawle belongs to Blundell's School at Tiverton. Mr. R. Hurrell, Miss Burnell, and a few smaller owners, have estates here. At Rickham is a coast guard station. Portlemouth commands an extensive view of the English Channel, as well as of the estuary and its creeks, as high as Kingsbridge. The Church (St Onolaus,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, two of which are cracked. It is in the perpendicular style, and has a richly carved wooden screen. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £29. 8s. 4d., and in 1831 at £360, is in the joint patronage of the Duke of Cleveland and Lady Sandwich, and in the incumency of the Rev. T.B. Wells, M.A., who has 30A of glebe, and a good residence with tasteful grounds. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £347 per annum. The Weslyans have a small chapel here, and the poor have the interest of £20 left by the Rev. Rd. Cleveland, in 1618." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. (Sometimes known simply as Portlemouth - West Portlemouth being a small hamlet across the estuary in Malborough.) Regarded as part of the South Hams area.