[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"EAST PUTFORD, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 9 miles W. of Great Torrington, its post town. It is situated on the river Torridge. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Buckland-Brewer, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is an ancient stone structure, with stained-glass windows. It contains several ancient monuments and brasses. The register is of early date. The trustees of the late Lord Rolle are lords of the manor and principal landowners.