Open a form to report problems or contribute information
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"EAST WORLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Witheridge, county Devon, 6 miles E. of Chulmleigh, and 5 N.E. of the Lapford railway station, on the North Devon line. The village is situated on the Lesser Dart, and has part of an ancient cross. The soil is a red clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £300, and 70 acres of glebe. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Bible Christians have a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes. The charities produce about £7 per annum. In the neighbourhood are traces of the Roman way to Exeter, on which urns and coins have been found. The Earl of Portsmouth is lord of the manor and principal landowner.