"EGGESFORD parish, in Taw vale, 2½ miles S. of Chulmleigh, has 168 inhabitants, and 1216 acres of land, nearly all the property of the Hon. Newton Fellowes, the lord of the manor, who is son of the late, and brother and heir of the present Earl of Portsmouth. On coming to this and other estates, formerly belonging to his mother's family, he assumed the name of Fellowes, in place of Wallop, his paternal name. Old Eggesford House was the seat of the Lords Chichester in the 17th century, and was rebuilt by W. Fellowes, Esq. in 1718, but taken down about 26 years ago. The present seat of the Hon. Newton Fellowes is a neat mansion, standing in the adjoining parish of Wembworthy. He is patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 18s. 9d., and in 1831 at 1831 at £132, and now enjoyed by the Rev. P.F. Clay, M.A., of Chawleigh. The Church (All Saints,) is a small structure, with a tower and two bells. The poor have the interest of £30, left by the Rev. John Churchill. The Parsonage is a new building, and the glebe is about 75A., of which 29A. is woodland. The tithes were commuted in 1847 for £61. 16s. 6d.." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in North Tawton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.