[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"EGGESFORD, a parish in the hundred of North Tawton, county Devon, 2 miles S.W. of Chumleigh, and 7 N. of North Tawton. Wembworthy is its post town. The North Devon and Exeter railway has a station at Eggesford. The village, which is very small, is situated on the river Taw. Here was formerly an hospital founded by Ibote Reigny. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £121. The church is an ancient stone structure dedicated to All Saints. There are some small charities, and a free school for both sexes. The Earl of Portsmouth is lord of the manor."