"ERMINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Ermington, county Devon, 1 mile N.W. of Modbury, and 2 miles S. of the Cornwood-road station on the South Devon railway. It is situated on the river Erme, and contains the hamlet of Ermbridge. It was formerly a market town and seat of the woollen cloth trade, but of late it has much declined. Limestone is found, and there are saw-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value with the curacy of Kingston annexed, £356, in the patronage of the crown and J. B. Cholwick, Esq. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly remarkable for its handsome granite arches and leaning spire. It is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains monuments of the Strechleys. Fleet House is the principal residence. Fairs are held on the 2nd February and 23rd June."
"IVYBRIDGE, a post town in the parish and hundred of Ermington, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Modbury, 11 N. of Plymouth, and a quarter of a mile from its station on the South Devon railway. It is situated on the river Erme, under a hill which rises 1,130 feet above sea-level. There is a large flour-mill' also a paper-mill. The soil is rich and the temperature remarkably mild. In the village is a good hotel. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter. The church is a small edifice built in 1799, but subsequently improved and enlarged. Here is a National school for both sexes, and an institution, with reading-room and library, supported by subscriptions. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinists have each a chapel. Lady Rogers is lady of the manor."
"STOWFORD, a hamlet in the district parish of Ermington, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Modbury. It is situated under West Beacon Hill, which rises 1,130 feet above sea-level."