Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
Ermington, page 94
ERMINGTON. St. Peter and St. Paul. The church consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and west tower surmounted by a tall spire considerably out of the perpendicular, the inclination is said to have been caused by lightning.
At one time a remarkable feature in this church was the position of the altar, which stood some six or seven feet away from the chancel wall and was surrounded by a massive Jacobean balustrade of oak. This has been removed and the altar placed in its usual position at the east end of the chancel. In the north chancel aisle is the Elizabethan monument of Christopher Chudleigh of Ashton [1528-1570], there is also a brass of the Strachleigh family, 1853.
The chancel screen is a handsome Jacobean erection with a well carved cornice supported by moulded balusters [plate 94]. It is surmounted by a plain cross. There are also north and south parclose screens similar in some respects to those at Ugborough and Holbeton. The screen has been restored by the Misses Penwill, the vicar's daughters, who are also the restorers of Manaton and other Devonshire screens. The clergy stalls face eastwards. The pulpit and font cover are modern, the font is Norman.
The registers date: baptisms, 1603; marriages, 1605; burials, 1603.