"[In 1843] the Church of St. George the Martyr was taken down for the improvement of South street, and its parish united with St. John's. Here are several neat monuments, some of which were removed from St. George's, as also were five of the bells. . . . The poor of this parish have 13 penny loaves every Sunday, from a rent-charge of 52s., left by Richd. Shilston, in 1645, out of a house at the bottom of Fore street hill. They have also the following yearly sums, viz.: 6s. 8d. left by the above-named donor; 3s. 4d., by John Baker; 20s., by Thos. Gist; 20s., left by Johanna Cole; and 20s., by Iseat Peachy." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Stretching South-West from the centre of the old walled City of Exeter, its population in 1801 was 642.