"St. Mary Major's Church, in the Cathedral yard, is a very ancient fabric, especially the tower, which is of Saxon origin. Over the north entrance is a small tablet, representing St. Lawrence in a state of Martyrdom, on a gridiron. The nave is separated from the chancel by a handsomely carved rood screen; and the front of the gallery is ornamented with round-headed arches, and a row of figures angels, &c. The church was re-seated in 1816, and contains numerous monumental inscriptions, both ancient and modern. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15. 14s. 9 ½d., and in 1831 at £150, is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter, and incumbency of the Rev. J.F. Turner." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A large parish in the old walled City of Exeter, between the West Gate and the Cathedral Close, its population in 1801 was 2,135.
An 1801 census enumeration for this parish is held by the Devon Record Office. Lookups are offered by Margaret Montgomery.