"St. Mary Steps' Church is in West street, at the foot of Stepcote hill, adjoining the site of the West gate, through which the city was formerly entered by a flight of steps. It is a small ancient fabric, and in its tower is a curious clock, over the dial of which are three small figures ;- the centre one representing Henry VIII., in a sitting posture, bends forward every time the clock strikes; and the other two are in military costume, with javelins in their right hands, and in their left small hammers, with which they alternately strike the quarters on two small bells beneath their feet. These figures are vulgarly called Matthew the miller and his two sons, from the circumstance of an old miller, who formerly lived in the neighbourhood, and passed the clock punctually at stated times. There are four bells in the tower, and the church has a handsome pulpit, a very ancient font, and a neat altar piece. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £8. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £180, was in the gift of Dr. Carwithen, but is now in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas A. Melhuish." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A small parish in the old walled City of Exeter, just inside the West Gate, its population in 1801 was 719.