"St. Stephen's Church, in High street, was a very ancient structure; but having been desecrated and made a garrison in 1657, it was rebuilt in 1664. The interior was completely altered in 1826, and has now a neat appearance. The tower has three bells, and is crowned by an octagon turret. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 17s. 3½d., and in 1831 at only £85, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. J.T. Toye, M.A." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in the old walled City of Exeter, to the North of the Cathedral Close. Its population in 1801 was 481. Bradninch Precinct was an extra-parochial place, with 41 inhabitants in 1811, whose nearest churches were St Lawrence, St Stephen and St Paul.
Nesbitt, F. Rectors of Exeter Churches: St Stephen's. Devon & Cornwall Notes and Queries 16 (1930-31), pp. 43-48.
Sledge, R.K. A History of St Stephen's Church (Exeter): The church and the congregation. (1960) [Westcountry Studies Library]
Southmayd, Jeffrey Duke. Dorothy Southmead, Devon Family Historian, vol. 164, (2017) pp.41-42. [About the history of the church, and the discovery of a set of buried gravestones, including that of Dorothy Southmead, d. of Isaac Maudit, Mayor of Exeter in 1673 and 1681.]
Window Tax records for 1756 are held by the Devon Record Office.
Hoskins, W.G. Extracts from the lay subsidy rolls...for the parishes of Luppitt [1591, 1660], Cotleigh , Monkton , Shute , Northleigh , Farway  and lists of the inhabitants of the precinct of Bradninch in Exeter, 1708, 1732, 1752, Manuscript (1935). [D&CRS Library, Exeter: P1660]