"FENITON, or Feynton, a small village in the Otter valley, four miles W.S.W. of Honiton, and N. by E. of Ottery St. Mary, has in its parish 315 souls and 1822 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Corscombe and Colestock. The manor was anciently held by the Malherbe family, who were seated here for thirteen generations, and had the power of beheading criminals. It now belongs to many freeholders, the largest of whom are Sir John Patteson, Knt., (who has a handsome seat here,) Sir J. Kennaway, Bart., J.P. Matthews, Esq., Mr. W. Porter, and Miss Wright. The Church, (St. Andrew,) is a plain structure, with a tower and five bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16. 8s. 6 ½d., and in 1831 at £372, is in the alternate patronage of S.C. Flood, G.B. Northcote, and -- Wooley, Esqrs., and incumbency of the Rev. H.E. Head, M.A., who has a good residence and 74A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £288 per annum. The poor have 4 ½A. of land, purchased with benefaction money, in 1717 and 1737, and now let for £8. The church land (3 roods,] is let for £2." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.