[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"FENITON, a parish in the hundred of Hayridge, county Devon, 3 N.E. of Ottery St. Mary, and 4 S.W. of Honiton, its post town. It is situated on the river Otter, which is here crossed by a bridge, and includes the hamlets of Cheriton, Colestocks, and Curscombe. Here Lord Grey defeated the malcontents of Cornwall in 1549. The soil is fertile, and there are large apple orchards. The Great Western railway passes about 1 mile from the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £372. The church is an ancient stone structure dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial endowments realise about £10 per annum. There is a National school. In the vicinity are some traces of ancient encampments. Sir John Patteson, Kt., is lord of the manor."