"GEORGEHAM, a small straggling village, in a valley 8 miles W.S.W. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 923 souls and 4650 acres of land, extending westward to Croyde and Morte Bays, and the long narrow promontory called Baggy Point, where the rocky cliffs rise boldly from the Bristol Channel. Most of the parishioners are in the villages and hamlets of Croyde, North Buckland, Darracott, and Puttsborough. Croyde is a pleasant sea bathing place, with a fine bay, and much romantic scenery in its vicinity. The manor of Georgeham was anciently the seat and property of the knightly family of Pickwell, and now belongs to Earl Fortescue. C.H. Webber, Esq., is lord of the manor of Croyde, or Crede; but a great part of the parish belongs to John Dunning, W.V. Richards, (of Incledon House,) the Rev. F. Hole, and a number of smaller owners, mostly free and partly lease holders. The Church (St. George,) is a fine antique structure, and among its monuments is the tomb of a crusader, supposed to be that of Sir Mauger St. Albyn. In the churchyard are buried Simon Gould and his wife Julian, who died in March, 1817, each in the 101st year of their age, and having been married upwards of 75 years." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Braunston Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.