"GERMANSWEEK, or Week St. Germans, on a bold declivity, 11 miles W. by S. of Okehampton, has in its parish 414 souls, and 2595 acres of land, including Heyworthy hamlet, and nearly 800 acres of common,, about to be enclosed. The soil belongs to the Rev. C.T.C. Luxmoore, Lord Clinton, J. Squire, H. Hawkes, C. Brown, and a few smaller owners. The Church is mostly in the early English style, and has a tower and three bells. The Dean and Chapter of Bristol are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the perpetual curacy, now held by the Rev. Chas. Carpenter, B.A., of Lifton, who has yearly £82. 7s. from Queen Anne's Bounty, and £9 from the tithes, now leased to the Rev. C.T.C. Luxmoore, and commuted for £117 per annum. Here is small Baptist chapel." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
Fielding, Leslie. Germansweek and its parish church: a history of the village of Germansweek and the parish church of St. Germans ... (1977) ,20p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/GER/0001/FIE]
Turton, S.D. Documentary history of Hennard village and Hennard Gifford. Exeter Mus. Archaeol.Field Unit (1988) ,22p,6 leaves: maps.
Williams, H. Fulford. Notes on the Parish of Germansweek, Devon. Typescript (1964) 5 leaves. [Westcountry Studies Library]