"GOODLEIGH, a small village, nearly 3 miles E. by N. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 335 souls, and 1180 acres of land, including Northleigh hamlet and several scattered houses. The manor belongs to the Misses Incledon, whose family mansion, called Yeotown, is now a farm house, and was new fronted in the Gothic style by the late B. N. Incledon, Esq. This house is in the sequestered woody valley of the small river Yeo. Miss Budd and several other proprietors have estates in this parish, which is celebrated for its cherry orchards. The Church (St. Gregory,) is an ancient Gothic structure, with a short tower, and some stained glass in its windows. Its screen is richly ornamented." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Braunton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Fice, John. The Goodleigh Militia and the Pasmore Family, Family Tree Magazine, vol. 4, no. 11 pp.32-33 and 12, pp.15-16 (1988). ["This article concentrates on one North Devon village in 1598 and the people who lived in it at the time of a turning point in history - the defeat of the Spanish Armada. The activities of the local defence force are highlighted together with the sixteenth century history of one leading family in the village community."]