Open a form to report problems or contribute information
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"HARFORD, a parish and township in the hundred of Ermington, county Devon, 2¼ miles N.W. of Ivybridge, and 14 S.E. of Tavistock. It is a small village, situated at the head of the river Erme, near the South Devon railway. There is a paper-mill in the township. The soil is chiefly clay, and the subsoil gravel. The principal crops are corn and roots. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £210. The church is a small ancient structure with a square tower containing three bells. The interior contains a brass to T. Williams, who was Speaker of the House of Commons, and a monument to the Prideaux family. There is a chapel for the Independents. Harford Hall, now a farmhouse, was once the residence of the Duchess of Kingston. Stowford, an ancient residence, is the seat of H. Rivers, Esq., who is lord of the manor and chief landowner."