[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"HARPFORD, a parish in the hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon, 4 miles S. of Ottery St. Mary, and 8 S.W. of Honiton. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Otter. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value with the rectory of Ven Ottery, £211. The church, dedicated to St. Gregory, is a small structure with square embattled tower containing three bells. It has recently been repaired. To the E. of the village is Harpford Wood, containing fine fir and beech trees. The trustees of Lord Rolle are lords of the manor. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £131, and the vicarial for £146 15s. The church once belonged to the abbey of St. Michael de Monte, and was subsequently given to Sion College, London. Here are remains of the old seat of the Dinhams."