"HATHERLEIGH is a small ancient market town, pleasantly situated on the banks of a rivulet, about a mile S. of the river Torridge, 8 miles N.N.W. of Okehampton, 29 miles W.N.W. of Exeter, and 16 miles S.S.E. of Bideford. Its parish contains 1882 inhabitants, and 7041 acres of land, including a moor of 430 acres; and Stapleford, Fishley, Upcott, and other scattered farms. The town suffered severely from fire some years ago, but most of the houses were soon afterwards rebuilt, and the principal street widened and much improved. A new Market House was built in 1840, at the cost of £280, and the market, now held on a Tuesday, was re-established, after being disused for more than half a century. . . . Jph. Lang Oldham, Esq., is lord of the manor of Hatherleigh, which formed part of the endowment of Tavistock Abbey, and was afterwards held by the Arscotts and Molesworths. . . . The manor of Fishley, which belonged to the same abbey, was afterwards held by the Yeo and Darke families. Harwoods, or Stone Fishley, now belongs to Mr. Wm. Pearse, of Chulmleigh. J.H. Veale, Esq., J.M. Woollcombe, Esq., W.C. Morris, Esq., and a number of smaller owners, have estates in the parish, mostly freehold and partly leasehold. . . . The Church (St. John the Baptist,) was enlarged and beautified about 16 years ago, when the Vicarage House was rebuilt by the present incumbent, the Rev. Saml. Feild, M.A. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.