"HEANTON PUNCHARDON, a pleasant village, on an eminence north of the Taw estuary, 4½ miles W.N.W. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 626 souls, and 2300 acres of land, including the hamlets of West Ashford, Chivenor, and Rafton. A.D. Bassett, Esq., is lord of the manor of Heanton, formerly held by the Punchardon family, and afterwards by the Beaumonts, whose heiress carried it in marriage to the Bassetts. Heanton Court, now a farm house, was formerly the seat of the Bassetts, and stands near the estuary, forming a conspicuous object in the view from Barnstaple bridge. The Rev. Fras. Mole, C.C. Drake, Esq., G. Langdon, J. Crang, H. Lovering, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Augustine,) has a tower and six bells, and the nave and chancel are separated by a richly carved screen. In the chancel is the finely carved tomb of one of the Coffin family, surmounted by a rich canopy. Here are also many mural tablets, belonging to the Bassett, Ballyman, and other families." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Braunton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.