Open a form to report problems or contribute information
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"HIGH BICKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of North Tawton-with-Winkley, in the county of Devon, 7 miles to the N.W. of Chumleigh. Great Torrington is its post and union town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, of the value of £475, in the gift of the Rev. S. Palmer. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a school with an endowment of £10 a year, bequeathed in 1740 by Gertrude Pyncombe, and other small bequests for the poor.