"HOCKWORTHY, a small scattered vilage, near the borders of Somerset, 7 miles W.S.W. of Wellington, and 8 miles N.E. of Tiverton, has in its parish 369 souls, and 2526 acres of land, picturesquely undulated, and including the small hamlets of Staple-Cross and Lea; and abounding in lime and excellent building stone, of which latter troughs &c., are made. The rectorial tithes and the farm of Hockford (112A.) formerly belonged to Canonleigh Abbey, but most of the former have now been sold to the land owners, and the latter belongs to Dr. E.B. Troyte, together with other parts of the parish. The other principal freeholders are Chas. and Godfrey Webster, Esqrs., and Mr. Jas. Talbot, Esq. The old manor house, called Court Hall, is the seat of G. Webster, Esq. The Church is an ancient building, except the tower, which was rebuilt in 1848, at the cost of £150, and contains three bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Bampton Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.