[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"HOCKWORTHY, a parish in the hundred of Bampton, county Devon., 7 miles S.W. of Wellington, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Tiverton. The village, which is small, is situated on the Taunton and Exeter road, near the borders of Somersetshire. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil varies from a moderate degree of fertility to absolute sterility, the subsoil being limestone with rock. The surface is diversified with hills commanding extensive views over Dartmoor and the county of Somerset. The living is a vicarage' in the diocese of Exeter, value £271. The church, which is situated on rising ground, has a square embattled tower containing three bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1853. The parochial charities produce £1 14s. per annum out of the Thornland estate. There is a school for children of both sexes, chiefly supported by the scholars."