Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Holcombe Burnell 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

HOLCOMBE BURNELL

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

HOLCOMBE-BURNELL parish, about 4 miles W. by S. of Exeter, has 306 inhabitants, and 1836 acres of land. The houses are scattered, except in the village of LONGDOWN, which has only 14 dwellings, on the high road from Exeter to Moreton-Hampstead and is partly in Dunsford and Alphington parishes. The soil belongs to James Pitman, Esq., the Rev. R. Stephens, Mr. R. Mortimore, and several smaller freeholders. At Domesday Survey it belonged to Tetbald Fitz-Berners, or Bernerii, and it passed to the Kawl, Dennis, Baker, Campernowne, and other families. Culver House, the handsome seat of the Rev. Richd. Stephens, sub-dean of Exeter, was built by him in 1833, and is in the irregular Tuscan order of architecture. It is delightfully situated about 5 miles W. by S. of Exeter, and the high ground behind it has been very tastefully planted. Perridge, the romantically situated, and well wooded seat of Chas. Dormer, Esq., is a mansion and estate of 15OA, adjoining this parish, but belonging to the parish of Kenn, from which it is distant 7 miles. This isolated estate is the property of the heirs of the late Henry L. Toll, Esq., and its inhabitants use Holcombe church. The old manor house of this parish is occupied by a farmer. It was formerly a large mansion, built by Sir Thos. Dennis, in the reign of Henry VIII. An ancient chapel, in an adjoining field, was taken down by Edw. Campernowne, Esq., in 1700. The Church (St. John,) was rebuilt, (all but the tower,) in 1843-'4, at the cost of £610. The tower has five bells, and in the chancel is a very handsome a1tar-tomb of Sir Thos. Dennis, who was lord chancellor, and an ancestor of the late Lord Rolle. The chancel is very neat, and on its south side are two sedilia, handsomely carved and inscribed to the memory of an aunt of the Rev. R. Stephens. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 9s. 2d., and in 1831 at £20, is endowed with all the tithes, which were commuted in 1842 for £145 per annum. The glebe comprises 100 acres of poor land, and the Vicarage House is a neat and pleasant mansion, built in 1838, at the cost of £1000, on a commanding eminence. The Rev. H. L. Houlditch, B.A., is the incumbent, and the Prebendary of Holcombe, in Wells Cathedral, has long held the patronage, but after the death of the present prebendary the advowson will pass to the Bishop of Exeter. Here is a small school, and the poor parishioners have the interest of £5, left by the late Jas. Pitman, Esq.

(Marked * are in Longdown.)
* Bennett John, vict. Lamb
* Britton Thomas, carpenter
Dormer Charles, Esq. Perridge
Dymond John parish clerk
* Honeywill Thomas, blacksmith
Houlditch Rev Henry Lovelace, B.A. Vicarage
Lightfoot My. Ann, schoolmistress
* Morrish Samuel, shoemaker
* Milford George, tailor
*Shapcote Wm. wheelwright
Stephens Rev Richd., M.A. sub-dean of Exeter and vicar of Dunsford, Culver House

FARMERS.
Branscombe Wm. Rugg House
Dymond Mrs W. Lower Pitt
Easton John
Grant Mr
Guscott John, Noysland
Harvey George
Kelly John
Honeywill Theophs. East Hill
Norrish Thos.
Mugford Mr. Pitt
Sanford Joseph. Down's House
Stanbury Thomas, King's ford

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998