"HOLCOMBE-ROGUS is a village and parish, adjoining the Great Western Canal and the borders of Somerset, 6 miles W.S.W. of Wellington, and 8½ miles N.E. by E. of Tiverton. It comprises 843 souls, and 3024 acres of land, generally fertile and hilly, and abounding in limestone. A market and fair, granted to this parish in 1343, have long been obsolete. At Domesday Survey, the manor was held by Rogo or Rogus, under Baldwin the Sheriff. For some centuries, it has been the seat of the Bluett family. P.F. Bluett, Esq., the present lord of the manor and owner of most of the parish, resides at Holcombe Court, the ancient manor house, which is in Gothic style, with a tower. The west wing was taken down in 1845, and the rest of the mansion has lately been repaired. The Church (All Saints,) is a fine ancient structure, with an embattled tower and five bells. In a chapel at the east end are two marble tombs, with recumbent effigies of four members of the Bluett family. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10. 10s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £240, is in the patronage of P.F. Bluett, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm.. Wills, M.A. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Bampton Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.