Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Holcombe Rogus, White 1890

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

White's Directory of Holcombe Rogus (1890)

Transcribed by

Richard Farmer

Holcombe Rogus parish is in Wellington union and county court district, Collumpton petty sessional division, Bampton hundred, Northern division of the county, Exeter archdeaconry and rural deanery. It had 734 inhabitants in 1881 and comprises 3024 acres of land. The parish adjoins the Great Western Canal, and the borders of Somerset, 1½ mile from Burlescombe Ry. Station, 6 W.S.W of Wellington and 8½ miles N.E. by E. of Tiverton. The rateable value of the parish is £4733. Its land is generally fertile and hilly, and limestone is abundant. A market and fair granted to this parish in 1343 have long been obsolete. At Doomesday Survey the manor was held by Rogo, or Rogus, under Baldwin the Sheriff. For some centuries it was the seat of the Bluett family. William Carew Rayer, Esq. J.P, the present lord of the manor, and owner of most of the parish, resides at Holcombe Court, the ancient manor-house, which is in the Gothic style with a tower, it having been purchased by his father in 1857 of P.H. Bluett, Esq. The west wing was taken down in 1845, and the rest of the mansion has been repaired.
The church (All Saints) is a fine ancient Perpendicular structure, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, mortuary chapel, south porch and embattled tower containing a clock and 5 bells. The chancel was restored in 1877 at a cost of over £500 by the late vicar (Rev. W Wills) and W.C. Rayer Esq., as lay rectors, the woodwork being chiefly done by the former and the stonework by the later. A new reredos, by Mr H Hems of Exeter, was given by Mr and Mrs Rayer. The north aisle has a fine old wagon roof. In the chancel is a splendid mural monument of the Bluett family, at the top of which are two figures, beautifully sculptured, and said to be exact likeness of two of the family. In a chapel at the east end are two marble tombs, with recumbent effigies of four members of the Bluett family. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a vicarage, valued in K.B at £10 10s.2½d, and now at £300, is in the patronage of W.C.Rayer, Esq. And incumbency of Rev. John Pascoe Mayne. The impropriators of the great tithes are William C Rayer, Esq. J.P. and I.Thornton West, Esq., which have been commuted at £220, and the vicarial for about £320 per annum. The glebe is 1½ acre, and the vicarage is a good residence.
The parish has a small BAPTIST CHAPEL; and sends a girl to Uffculme Free School. The Rev.W.Wills left £300 invested by trustees in the 3 per Cent. Reduced Annuities (£319 3s. the interest of which is given to the poor on December 20, the anniversary of the donor's birthday. There are two SCHOOLS in this parish - one a Charity School, on Dr Bell's system, endowed by Mrs Susannah Webber, in June 1823, with £1000, for the free education of twenty boys and thirty girls. The school was built out of the endowment. The other school has been erected by W.C, Rayer, Esq., and is supported by him. By a new scheme twenty boys who are educated free have been transferred from the Charity School to that supported by W.C.Rayer, Esq., which is now for boys only. All the girls of the parish and the boys under six attend the Charity School, thirty of the girls being educated free.
POST OFFICE at John Tooze's. Letters are received at 8.a.m., and dispatched at 6.30 p.m. through Wellington, Somerset.

Austin Mark, mason, Wardmoor
Bond Thomas, farmer, Ramsey
Bowerman Rbt, bldr, Laurel cottage
Brewer Robt. Farmer. Lower Whipcott
Bucknell Benjamin James, farmer, Court Barton
Burden Goerge, draper and grocer
Coleman Miss Sarah, Charity schlmstrs
Farrant Miss Elizabeth, fmr, Knowle
Farrant Samuel, farm bailiff to W.C. Rayer, Esq
Farrant Thomas, frmr.Lower Besley
Fowler James, farmer & gamekeeper
Fursey Samuel, schoolmaster, Mr Rayer's school
Graham Edward Forbes, electician, Victoria Cottage
Grigg Nathaniel Batt surgeon,
Hepper Fredk. fmr, Higher Whipcott
Hewett Thos. Coal Mrchnt.Timewells
Hill John, farmer, Red hill
Hooper Mrs Emma, draper and grocer
Hooper Thomas, btmkr, Golden hill
Jones Frank, builder, South Street
Jones Samuel, sexton

Lee Joel, dairyman, Fenton
Mayne Rev John Pascoe, vicar, The Vicarage
Merson James Hewitt, farmer, Kitton Barton
Merson Thomas, farmer, Buehills
Parsons Thomas, baker, Dunns Court
Rayer William Carew, Esq. J.P Holcombe Court
Russell David Henry, lime and stone merchant Whipcott
Russell Mr Henry
Salter John, farmer, Higher Besley
Scott John, Chair mnfctrer Dalways
Scott Thomas, parish clerk
Tooze John, assistant overseer & post office Fore Street
Trevelyan Wm. beerhs & wheelwright
Tristram Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright, Twitchen
Vickery Robert, carpenter and vict. Prince of Wales
Warren William chair maker & farmer
Warren William, chair maker
Warren William, beerhouse
White John, farmer, Burrow
White Mark, farmer, Freathingcott
Wright Jesse, vict. & butcher. New Inn

Brian Randell, 6 Aug 2005