Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Holcombe Rogus, Kelly 1902

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Kelly's Directory of Holcombe Rogus (1902)

Transcribed by

Richard Farmer

Holcombe Rogus is a parish and village on the borders of Somerset, 2 miles north-west-by-north from Burlescombe station on the Bristol and Exeter section of the Great Western Railway, 8½ miles north-east-by-east from Tiverton, and 6 west-south-west from Wellington (Somerset), in the North Eastern division of the county, Bampton hundred, Cullompton petty sessional division, Wellington union and county court district, rural deanery of Cullompton and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. This place derives its suffix from Rogo, a Norman, who held it under Baldwin, the sheriff. The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting if chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells: there is a handsome stone reredos by Hems, of Exeter, and good carved oak screen work in the cinque-cento or Italian style of the Early 16th Century, the cornice of which is enriched with medallions, exhibiting scriptural subjects: here also are the remains of the rood screen originally in St Peter's Tiverton, but removed on the restoration of that church in 1854; it is groined, painted in blue and red and gilt: the south porch is vaulted in stone, and stone windows have tracery of unusual character: there are numerous mural monuments and massive alter tombs, with recumbent male and female effigies, dating from 1613, to the Bluett family, who were seated here for many generations: the church affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1540. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, with residence and 1½ acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs Rayer, and held since 1892 by the Rev.Lynch Talbot Ward


B.A. of Keble College, Oxford. Webber's charity, founded in 1823, consists of £1,000 Consols, the interest to be applied in the daily education of 30 poor girls and 20 poor boys in the doctrines of the Church of England. The Rev W.Wills, a former vicar, by his will, dated 1875, left £300 £3 per Cent. Annuities, the interest to be given to the poor on the 28th December annually. Holcombe Court, the ancient seat of the Bluetts, and now the property and residence of Mrs Rayer, who is lady of the manor and chief landowner, is a fine old mansion, in the Tudor style, and includes a hall and a gatehouse tower, with picturesque oriels. The soil is clayey; the subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,021 acres of land and 7 of water; rateable value, £5,291; the population in 1891 was 629.
Sexton, Samuel Jones.
 

Post, M.O & T.O, T.M.O, Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B & Annuity & Insurance Office--Aaron Tooze, sub-postmaster. Letters through Wellington (Somerset) received at 8 a.m. dispatched at 6.30 p.m.;

Schools

Church of England, erected in 1875, for 65 boys; average attendance 45; & supported by Mrs Rayer; Samuel Fursey, master Webber's Public Elementary Charity, erected in 1849, for 60 girls & infants; average attendance 48; miss Sarah Coleman, mistress.

Master Grigg Nathaniel Batt Buehills
Rayer Mrs, Holcombe Court
Russell James, Pear Close
Ward Rev. Lynch Talbot B.A. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL

Board William, wheelwright
Bowerman Robert, carpenter & builder
Bucknell Benjamin, farmer, Court Barton
Farrant Fredrick, farmer, Knowle
Farrant Samuel, farmer, Wiseburrow
Farrant Thomas, farmer, Lower Besley
Fry Richard, blacksmith
Grigg Nathaniel Batt M.R.C.S. Eng. surgeon, &
medical officer and public vaccinator to 5th district of
Wellington union & Hockworthy district, Tiverton union, Timewells
Griffin Jas, Whipcott Barton
Hill John, farmer, Red hill
Jones Brothers, Masons
Kerslake John, carpenter & builder


May Edward, blacksmith, Whipcott
Merson James Hewett, farmer, Kitton Barton
Norrish Thomas, tailor
Parsons, Thomas, baker
Russell Alfred James, boot maker
Russell David, lime burner, Steer's ho
Rockett Henry, draper & grocer
Salter Henry Wm. farmer, Ramsey
Salter John, farmer, Higher Bessley
Seal Henry, Carpenter
Tooze Aaron, chair maker & post office
Mellusih William, Home Pitt P.H
Vickery Robert, Prince of Wales P.H
Warren William, chair maker
Warren William, Beer retailer & coal dealer, George
Inn
Warren William, farmer, Marjeries farm
White John, farmer, Burrow farm
White John, farmer, Freathingcott
White Mark, farmer, Fenton
Wright Jesse, New Inn & butcher
Wright Walter, smith
 

Brian Randell, 6 Aug 2005