"HONEYCHURCH, a small parish, 7 miles E. by S. of Hatherleigh, has only 69 souls, and about 500 acres of land. The Hon. Newton Fellowes is lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to and is occupied by Richard Sloman and Thomas and Wm. Brook. The other resident farmers are John Sloman and Saml. Vanstone. The Church is a small structure, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 7s. 8d., and in 1831 at £79, is in the gift of J. Alliston, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Hodgson Brailsford, LL.B., of Exbourne. The glebe is 50A., and the tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £48 per annum." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
Index of Heads of Households in Devonshire: Honeychurch, P.O. Box 339, Blackburn, Victoria, Australia 3130, Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies (2000). [As recorded in Land Tax records 1780-1832]