[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"HUNTSHAM, a parish in the hundred of Tiverton, county Devon, 3 miles E. of Bampton, its post town, and 6. N.E. of Tiverton. It is a small straggling village, situated in a valley. The surface is varied, but the land chiefly of a poor clayey soil. The river Lowman, which joins the Exe at Tiverton, takes its rise in this parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £182. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £253. The church is a very ancient structure, with a square embattled tower, containing three bells. It has been recently thoroughly restored and enlarged. There is a free school for both sexes. Huntsham Court is the principal residence, the seat of A. H. D. Troyte, Esq., lord of the manor, and principal landowner."