[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"IDDESLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 11 miles S.E. of Torrington, and 4 N.E. of Hatherleigh. Winkleigh is its post town. It is situated near the rivers Torridge and Okement. The soil is sand and clay. The inhabitants are principally engaged in agriculture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone structure with a square embattled tower containing five bells, and was partly rebuilt in 1848. The chancel contains the effigy of a Crusader. There is a place of worship for Bible Christians. Sir Stafford Northcote is lord of the manor."