Ilfracombe has been settled since the Iron Age, when the Dumnonii established a fort on the dominant hill, Hillsborough (formerly Hele's Barrow). The town's name has two possible sources; (1) that it derives from the Anglo-Saxon Alfreinscoma - by which name it was noted in the Liber Exoniensis of 1086. The name means "Valley of the sons of Alfred". (2) that Ilfracombe was derived from Norse illf (bad), Anglo-Saxon yfel (evil ford) and Anglo-Saxon cumb (valley or bottom), thus 'The valley with the bad ford'. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the University of Michigan Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.