ILSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of TEINGBRIDGE,
county of DEVON, 4¾ miles (N. N. E.) from
Ashburton, containing 1122 inhabitants. The living is
a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese
of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £17. 9. 7; and
in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Michael, contains
some modern screen-work. In 1663, Jane Ford devised a
rent-charge for the education of poor children: the present
income is about £26 per annum, and fifty children
are educated. Pipe and potters clay, and lead-ore, may
be obtained in this parish; the Stover raihvay pasess
through the north-eastern part of it.