"INWARDLEIGH, a parish, in the union of OAKHAMPTON, hundred of BLACK TORRINGTON, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of DEVON, 32 miles (N. W. by N.) from Oakhampton; containing 715 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near the rivers Okement and Torridge, and on the road from Oakhampton to Exeter, and on that through Hatherleigh to the north, comprises according to computation 7120 acres, principally arable land; 1300 are common or waste. Stone of good quality for building is quarried, and also for mending the roads. . . The church is an ancient structure, with a square tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is supported by subscription." [From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter.