[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"INWARDLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Black Torrington, county Devon, 3½ miles from Hatherleigh, its post town, and 3 N.W. of Okehampton. It is situated on a branch of the river Torridge. The roads from Okehampton to Exeter and from Hatherleigh to the N. intersect the parish, which is of large extent. The land is chiefly arable, and there are several stone quarries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £277. The church is an ancient structure with a square tower. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a parochial school."