[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"KELLY, a parish in the hundred of Lifton, county Devon, 6 miles S.E. of Launceston, and 8 N.W. of Tavistock. Milton Abbot is its post town. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated near the river Tamar. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £250. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £266. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing six bells. Kelly House is the principal residence, and is the seat of Arthur Kelly, Esq., who is lord of the manor and owner of the whole of this parish, which has been in the possession of this family from the reign of Henry II."