Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Kentisbeare

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Kentisbeare

"KENTISBEARE, or Kentisbeer, three miles E. by N. of Collumpton, is a considerable village, sheltered on the west by lofty hills. Its parish contains 1184 souls and about 4000 acres of land, including Sainthill hamlet and many scattered farm houses, &c. . . . It has a fair on Whit Monday; an Agricultural Association; and an Assembly Room. The Trustees of the late Earl Of Egremont are patrons of the rectory and lords of the manor, formerly held by the Punchardson, Furneaux, Bonville, and other families. They own a great part of the soil, and the rest belongs to various freeholders. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £27. 18s. 11½d., and in 1831 at £585, is in the incumbency of the Rev. R.A. Roberts, M.A., who has 61A. of glebe and a good residence, built in 1840. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £400 per annum. The Church (St. Mary,) is a fine ancient structure, with a beautiful screen, and several monumental memorials of the Eveleigh and other families. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

A parish in Hayridge Hundred, in the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.

topup

Biography

Rugg, Derrick V. Across cobble-stones, Padstow, Tabb House (1983) [5],64p : ill, plates. [ISBN: 090701819x] [Personal reminiscences]
topup

Cemeteries

Chalk, E.S. Devonshire Association Parochial Histories of Devonshire Nos. 3-4: Kentisbeare and Blackborough. (1934) [Westcountry Studies Library - msB/KEN/0001/CHA] [Church MIs pp. 64-70]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kentisbeare area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Kentisbeare - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).

Gowers, Ian. The Sermon of Richard Saunders of Kentisbeare, 1651. In Devon Documents (ed. T. Gray). Tiverton: Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries, Special Issue (1996) [ISBN 0925836203] pp.82-86.
topup

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1695 are held in the Devon Record Office.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1839, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.

Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):

  • Baptist Chapel - Sainthill Meeting: Registers for 1806-36 (Z) in PRO RG 4/337
  • Wesleyan Chapel: Registers for c1812-37 - see Tiverton (PRO RG 4/342)

Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Sainthill Particular Baptist Chapel Christenings 1806-1844.

An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Bradninch, Broadhembury, Buckerell, Butterleigh, Clyst Hydon, Clyst St. Lawrence, Cullompton, Feniton, Kentisbeare, Payhembury, Plymtree, Rewe, Silverton and Talaton. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire 1902. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Bradninch Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadhembury Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Buckerell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1841; Butterleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst Hydon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; Clyst St. Lawrence Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1814-1851; Cullompton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Feniton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1790-1837; Kentisbeare Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1837; Payhembury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1838, Bur: 1800-1837; Plymtree Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1541-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Rewe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Silverton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Talaton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1800-1837].
topup

Description and Travel

Section on Kentisbeare from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Locki

You can see pictures of Kentisbeare which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kentisbeare to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Genealogy

Bond, Sue. . . . from Kentisbeare to Kensington, Devon Family Historian, vol. 157, (2016) pp.21-22. [Re Francis Radford (d. 1900)]
James, J. Cleeve Memorial, Kentisbeare Church, Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 36 (1), 1987, pp. 37-9.
Reichel, Oswald J. Who was John, son of Mauger?. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 6:6, (1911) pp.175-176. [Killigrew Family - refers to vol.6, p.155, par.145.]
Turcott, Betty Radford. A Visit to Kentisbeare, Devon Family Historian, vol. 157, (2016) p.21. [Re Francis Radford (d. 1900)]
Whiting, Richard. Whiting of Wood, a mediaeval landed family (Lords of the Manors of Wood, Payhambury, Pridhamsleigh, etc.) In Family History Tracts, vol. 91. [Typescript.] [SoG Library]
topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Kentisbeare has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Sue Davey's Kentisbeare pages provide historical information, and parish register extracts.

Barrett, Helen. Our heritage: a history of Kentisbeare and Blackborough. [Kentisbeare]: The Author (1977) 132p: ill, maps, plans. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/KEN 3/0001/BAR]
Chalk, E.S. The town, village, manors and church of Kentisbeare. (1910) 2 vol. [Westcountry Studies Library - msxB/KEN/0001/CHA] [Raymond: Includes list of vicars, MIs and pedigrees of Wyndham and Whiting families.] [Full text]
Chalk, E S. The town, village, manors, and church of Kentisbeare. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 42 (1910) pp. 278-345. [Index]
Chalk, Edwin S. Histories of the parishes of Kentisbeare and Blackborough. Typescript [1930?] [Westcountry Studies Library - Formerly Ms.19]
Chalk, E.S. Devonshire Association Parochial Histories of Devonshire Nos. 3-4: Kentisbeare and Blackborough. (1934) [Westcountry Studies Library - msB/KEN/0001/CHA]
topup
topup

Names, Personal

Kentisbeare contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Transcript of a 1632 list of benefactors, from a wooden panel in the parish church, provided by Wesley Butson.

Cullompton Register of Bastardy Applications 1850-1859, Exeter, Devon FHS (2004). [Includes parishes of Burlescombe, Churchstanton, Cullompton, Halberton, Kentisbeare, Silverton, Thorverton and Uffculme.] [Foreword] [Names included in the overall index published as "Rich man, poor man, beggar man, thief" (CD 023).
topup

Probate Records

Transcription of the will of William Potter (1839) by Sandra Pidduck.