"KING'S TEIGNTON, or Teignton Regis, is a large and respectable village, 1½ mile N.E. of Newton Abbot, pleasantly situated on the north bank of the river Teign, where it has a commodious wharf, near two short canals, one extending to the railway of the Haytor Granite Works, and the other extending about four miles northward, to the vicinity of Chudleigh. . . . Its parish contains 1498 souls, and 3982A. 3R. 16P. of land, including the hamlet of Preston, and many scattered houses. The parish abounds in fine potters' and pipe clay, of which about 50,000 tons are sent in barges down the Teign, to be shipped at Teignmouth for the Staffordshire and other potteries. . . . Lord Clifford is the lord of the manor of King's Teignton. . . . He is also owner of Gappah, Ware and a great part of the parish. . . .The Church (St. Michael,) is a large and venerable structure, with a tower and five bells. It is in the perpendicular style of the 15th century, and its number of free sittings was increased in 1825 from 231 to 311. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £28. 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £421, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Woollcombe, jun., who has a good residence and 21½A. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Teignbridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.