[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"KINGSTON, a parish in the hundred of Ermington, county Devon, 7½ miles S.E. of Ivybridge railway station, and 4 S.W. of Modbury, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Erme, near Bigbury Bay. The soil is chiefly light, but fertile. The coast is defended by lofty cliffs, of which those of Scobbiscombe are remarkable for their precipitous elevation. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Ermington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is an ancient structure, in which a day and Sunday school are held. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. Richard Julian, Esq., is lord of the manor."