"LAMERTON, a scattered village, 3 miles N.W. of Tavistock, has in its parish 1286 souls, and 6788 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Ottery, Chaddlehanger, North Brentor, and Hilltown. The manors and owners are - Lamerton, Earl Fortescue; Ottery, Duke of Bedford; Willestrew, J. Carpenter, Esq.; and Collacombe, Sir W.P. Call, Bart. Collacombe Barton, rebuilt in the time of Elizabeth, was for many generations the chief seat of the Tremayne family, but is now a farm house. . . . In the parish are several neat villas, and many scattered farm-houses. A great part of the soil belongs to the Rev. W. Gill, of Venn House, and J.H. Clobery, John James, W. Weekes, and Henry Terrell, Esqrs., and several smaller owners. The Church (St. Peter,) is a large structure, with an embattled tower and six bells. Among its monuments is one to the memory of Thomas Tremayne, Esq., his wife, and sixteen children. Two of their eight sons were twins, and so exactly resembled each other, that even in manhood they could not be distinguished one from the other, even by their parents and friends. Their affections and propensities were the same, and they were both killed in the wars at Newhaven, in France, in 1564. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at £445, is in the patronage of J.H. Tremayne, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Edw. Carlyon . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. According to Peskett, North Brentor was an outlier of this parish (with chapel of ease, Christchurch, built in 1853) until transferred to Brentor in 1883.