"LAMERTON, a parish in the hundred of Litton, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Tavistock, its post town, and 10 S.E. of Launceston. The parish, which is very extensive, is situated under Brent Tor, and is watered by the river Lumber, from which it derives its name. The church formerly belonged to Tavistock Abbey. There are several mines of manganese, and slate is quarried. The land is chiefly in pasture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £397. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £344. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a lofty square embattled tower containing six bells, all of which were recast in 1845. The interior of the church contains a handsome font, transom window of 3,200 panes of glass, and several monuments of the Tremayne family, including one to Thomas Tremayne and his wife, with their eight sons and eight daughters; also monuments to two twin brothers, who resembled each other so exactly that they were only known apart by a private mark, and were both killed at Newhaven in 1564. A new district church has been erected at North Brentor. The parochial charities produce about £19 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes; also places of worship for the Wesleyans and Bryanites. Collacombe, the ancient mansion of the Tremayne family, is now a farmhouse."