Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Lamerton 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LAMERTON

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

transcribed by

Neil Stanton

LAMERTON, a scattered village, 3 miles NW of Tavistock, has in its parish 1288 souls, and 6788 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Ottery, Chaddlehanger, North Brentor, and Hilltown. The manors and owners are; Lamerton, Earl Fortescue; Ottery, Duke of Bedford; Willestrew, J. Carpenter Esq.; and Collacombe, Sir W.P. Call Bart. Collacombe Barton, rebuilt in the time of Elizabeth, was for many generations the chief seat of the Tremayne family, but is now a farm house. In one of the rooms is a large transom window, in 16 compartments, containing 32000 panes of glass. In the parish are several neat villas and many scattered farm houses. A great part of the soil belongs to the Rev. W. Gill, of Venn House, and J.H. Clobery, John James, W. Weekes, and Henry Terrell, Esqrs. and several smaller owners. The Church (St. Peter) is a large structure, with an embattled tower and six bells. Among its monuments is one to the memory of Thomas Tremayne Esq., his wife, and sixteen children. Two of their eight sons were twins, and so exactly resembled each other, that even in manhood they could not be distinguished one from the other, even by their parents and friends. Their affections and propensities were the same, and they were both killed in the wars at Newhaven, in France, in 1564. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13. 2s. 1d., and in 1831 at £445, is in the patronage of J.H. Tremayne Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Edw. Carlyon, who has 26A of glebe, and a good residence, erected in 1845. The tithes were commuted in 1840, the vicarial for £397, and the rectorial for £310, 16s. 11d. per annum. Of the latter £157.10s, 0d. belongs to R. Eales Esq. and the remainder to 21 smaller impropriators. There is a small chapel of ease at North Brentor, built in 1825; and a small dissenting chapel in the village. The poor have £20 a year from Tremayne's charity, as noticed with Coryton, and here is a Parish School, erected by subscription in 1823.

Marked 1 are at North Brentor; 2 at Ottery; and 3 at Hilltown

CARLYON Rev Edward, Vicarage.
CLEMO John vict, Bedford Arms.
CLOBERY John Herring Esq. West Langstone.
COWLAND Mrs. Camplehay.
GEAKE John V.S. vict. Blacksmiths Arms.
GILL Rev Wm. Venn House.
HORNBROOK Mrs. Chaddlehanger.
HORTOP John, butcher, Hill Top.
HORTOP Wm. Jnr vict Fortescue Arms.
IRVINE Rev G.M. curate.
JAMES John Esq. East Langstone.
MORGAN Mrs. Bell Grove.
PENGELLY John, auctioneer and surveyor.
PERCY John, schoolmaster, regr., asst. overseer, and agent to Alfred Life Office.
SPRY Jas. Cattle dealer, Chaddlehouse.
TERRELL Henry Esq. Ottery Park.
WEEKES Walter Esq. Hurlditch.
WILLESFORD H.B. Esq. Woodman's Well.

 

 

BLACKSMITHS
BENNETT Wm.
BOX J. Chip Shop.
BROWN Charles.
2 ROSKILLY Isaac.

BOOT & SHOE MKRS
NORTHCOTE James.
1 RICE Edward.
3 SWAILES Samuel.
TUCKER Joseph.

CARPENTERS
ARSCOTT Thomas.
BATE Arthur.
BROAD John
GLOYN John & jun.
2 HAWKINS John.
JURY Wm.
1 RICE John.
RICE Roger.
1 RICE Stephen.
1 RICE Thomas.

MASONS
BETTERELL John.
BETTERELL Thomas.
DOIDGE Wm.
HARDY Richard.

MILLERS
LEWIS James.
SYMONS Phillippa.

SAWYERS
PALMER Charles.
SLY Eml. & Saml.

SHOPKEEPERS
1 BICKLE John.
BOTTERELL John.
2 DINNER Susan.
GEAKE John S.V.
GLOYNE John.
HARDY Richard.
1 TAPSON John.
2 VINNING Betsy.
FARMERS

(* are Owners)
BROOK Wm.
BROWN Wm.
2 BURROW Richard
COLMER Thomas
*CUNDY Daniel
*DOIDGE Richard.
DOWN John. Fursdon.
EASTCOTT John.
ELLIS Richard.
FUGE Samuel. Hall.
EGGINS Thomas.
2 GRIBBLE Wm.
GRIBBLE John.
3 HORTOP Wm.
HUTCHINGS H.
KINSMAN Wm.
LETHBRIDGE Js.&Jn.
MAJOR Thomas.
NORRINGTON Frederick.
PERCY Wm.
3 RAWLINGS Mr.
1 RICE John.
3 RICKARD Thomas
*ROSKILLY Thomas.
ROWE Rd. & Jnr.
SLY Samuel.
1 SQUIRE Thomas.
1 SQUIRE Wm.
WATKINS David.
2 WEEKES Thomas.
WILCOCKS Joseph.
3 WILLIAMS Wm.

TAILORS
HOOPER Wm.
POMERY John
 

 

 

Post, &c from Tavistock

Brian Randell, 5 May 2003