Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Landkey 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Landkey 1850

                              LANDKEY


               From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850


LANDKEY is a village and parish, 2½ miles E.S.E. of Barnstaple, 
containing 774 souls, and 3510 acres of land. The trustees of the late Lord 
Rolle are lords of one manor, and the Duke of Bedford owns the other, which 
was anciently held by the Beaples, and afterwards by the Lorings, but part 
of the parish belongs to Miss Budd and other proprietors. Acland is a farm 
belonging to Sir T.D. Acland, and was the original seat of his ancient 
family. The Church (Trinity,) has a fine tower and six bells, and contains 
several monuments, one of which has recumbent effigies of Sir Arthur Acland 
and his lady, who died in 1610. There was formerly a Chapel of St. Mary at 
Herford. The Dean of Exeter is appropriator of the tithes and patron of the 
perpetual curacy, rated in K.B at £20, and in 1831 at £179, with that of 
Swimbridge annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Russell. The 
tithes were commuted in 1846 for £450. After the death of the present Dean, 
they will pass to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Wesleyans have a 
chapel here. The Parish Land and Houses have been vested for the poor from 
an early period, and are worth about £60, but are let for only £36. 18s. 7 
½d. per annum, in consideration of fines paid by the lessees. Out of the 
income £8 is applied in aid of the school, and the rest is divided among 
the poor, together with the interest of £100, which arose from fines and 
gifts. The poor have also the following yearly sums:- 52s. left by Sir John 
Acland in 1616; 26s. left by Hugh Acland in 1620; 52s. left by Frances Bear 
in 1730; and 40s. left by Rd. Squire in 1735.

Cook Thos. & Lewis Ann, shopkprs
Gaydon Wm. & Dallin Geo. smiths
Smyth Henry, shoemaker

   BEERHOUSES. 
Darch Wm.   
Davey Wm.  
Hoar Samuel 
Kemp Wm.

   FARMERS.
Bell George
Blake Jno. Acland
Bryant Pp. Pill 
Bryant Thomas 
Buckingham Ths. 
Buckingham W. 
Buckingham William, jun 
Ching John
Crocker John
Gammon Thos. 
Jones Ann
Pugsley G. Herfd 
Smith John
Tucker Richard 
Vickery Richard

Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999