Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Lew Trenchard 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LEW TRENCHARD

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Neil Stanton

LEWTRENCHARD, on the banks of the small river Lew, about 8½ miles N. of Tavistock, and E. by N. of Launceston, has in its parish 527 souls, and 2818 acres of land, rising boldly from the valley, and abounding in slate and limestone. It includes a great part of the village of LEW DOWN, which is on the turnpike road, and is partly in the parishes of Marystowe and Thrushelton; and has a cattle fair, on the Wednesday before the third Thursday in April. E. B. Gould, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil, and resides occasionally at Lew House, a neat mansion with tasteful grounds, commanding delightful views. Orchard Barton, formerly the seat of the Woods, is an interesting Elizabethan house. The Church (St. Peter) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and five bells, and was repewed in 1831, and cleaned and repaired a few years ago. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 13s. 4d., is in the patronage of E. B. Gould, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Charles B. Gould, who has 80A. of glebe and a good residence. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £270 per annum. The National School was built in 1841. A manganese mine was formerly worked in the parish, and yielded for some time 10,000 tons per annum.


Marked * are at Lew Down; + in Marystowe
and ¤ in Thrushelton parish

*Bevan George and Robert, masons
*Blatchfold John, blacksmith
*Brock John, vict. Lew Down Inn
Clatworthy Thomas, butcher
*Creber Mrs || Payne A. school
*+Davey Jonathan, schoolmaster
*Dawes Samuel, carpenter
Gould Rev Charles Baring, Rectory
Gould Edward Baring, Esq. Lew House
*Luxmore John, saddler
*¤Parsons John, vict. New Inn
*+Reddicliffe Richard, gent
*Smith Thomas Wm. surgeon
*+Spry Richard, wheelwright
*Symons Thomas, saddler.
Yelland David, corn miller
Chowen Henry
Facey Samuel
Ham Thomas

FARMERS.
Ash Thomas
Hortop Robert
Langmead James
Perry Wm. & Jehu
Reddicliff John
Stobie Matthew
Symons Henry
Symons Wm.
Symons Thomas
Westlake John
White Thomas
Yeo John, Orchard

SHOEMAKERS.
*Hockaday Thomas
*Rattenbury Wm.

SHOPKEEPERS.
*Frise James
*Johns Samuel
*Rice Ann

*POST OFFICE at
Ann Rice's. Letters
via Okehampton.


Brian Randell, 30 Aug 2003