Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Little Torrington 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Little Torrington 1850

                        LITTLE TORRINGTON

from White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire (1850)

                   transcribed by Brian Randell

TORRINGTON, (LITTLE) a pleasant village, nearly 2 miles S. of Great 
Torrington, has in its parish 588 souls, and 2880 acres of land, including the 
village of Taddiport, on the south-west side of the river Torridge opposite 
Great Torrington. The manor of Little Torrington belongs to the Stevens 
family, and that of Potheridge to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle; but 
several smaller freeholders have estates here. Cross House, which was long 
the residence of the Stevens family, is now the pleasant seat of Sir Trevor 
Wheler, Bart., whose baronetcy was created in 1660. The Church is an 
ancient structure, and the benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £14 18s. 11 
½d., and in 1831 at £452. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle are the 
patrons, and the Rev. Peter Glubb, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a plain 
old residence and about 50A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for 
£400 per annum. The Magdalen Lands,  which now belong to the poor 
parishioners, were anciently part of the endowment of a lepers' hospital at 
Taddiport. These comprise two fields, (8A.,) several gardens, and 13 
cottages, let for about £34 a year. There are also 2 acres called Chapel field, 
which are held by the rector in consideration of preaching 12 sermons yearly 
in Taddiport Chapel, which belonged to the hospital and is now finely mantled 
with ivy. This chapel is repaired out of the rents of the Magdalen Lands 
belonging to Great and Little Torrington,  and service is performed in it once a 
fortnight. The poor of the parish have £7 a year out of Grey Friars estate, at 
Canterbury, purchased with £120 left by John Hart. The parish school was 
built in 1840, by Sir T. Wheler, and Mrs. Stevens.

Blake Andrew, schoolmaster
Copp Wm. beer seller
Glubb Rev Peter, M.A. rector
Sillifant Richard, mason
Wheler Sir Trevor, Bart. Cross House
Wilson Ann, vict. Buckingham Arms
Wilson George, butcher

BLACKSMITHS.
Gribble Wm. & G
Parr Wm.
Thorne Richard

BOOT & SHOE MKS.
Elliott Saml.
Vodden John

CARPENTERS.
Broad John
Broad Thos.
Broad Wm.

FARMERS.
Arnold Nichls. F.
Ball Richard
Banbery Fras.
Banbery Wm.
Channings Geo.
Clement Henry
Cole John
Copp Edmund
Hackwill E.
Heal Philip
How James
Judd Wm.
Nicholls Wm.
Pengilly Richd.
Quance Ann
Routcliffe Saml.
Snell Anthony
Ward Wm.
Wilson Wm.

TAILORS.
Blake Samuel
Gloyne John

Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999