Human occupation of Exmouth Point can be traced back to the 11th century, when it was known as Lydwicnaesse, "the point of the Bretons". The two ecclesiastical parishes, Littleham and Withycombe Raleigh, that make up the town of Exmouth can be traced to pre-Saxon times. The town's name derives from its location at the mouth of the River Exe estuary, which ultimately comes from an ancient Celtic word for fish. In 1240 an area known as Pratteshuthe (Pratt's landing place) was sold to the mayor and citizens of Exeter. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the University of Michigan Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.