"LOXBEARE is a parish and small scattered village, near the road from Tiverton to South Molton, about 4 miles north-west from Tiverton . . . and 14 from South Molton, in the North Eastern division of the county, Cullompton petty sessional division, Tiverton hundred, union and county court district, rural deanery of West Tiverton and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. By Local Government Board Order 16,307, which came into operation March 25, 1885, Calverleigh parish has been annexed to Loxbeare for civil purposes. The church (dedication unknown), which stands 635 feet above the sea level, is a plain but ancient edifice of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style . . . The register of baptisms dates from the year 1570; marriages, 1563; burials, 1560. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £128, with residence and 84 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Charles T. Dyke Acland bart. and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Murray Fairbairn B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. . . . The manor was purchased in 1600 by D. Cudmore, whose last descendant in the male line (Daniel Cudmore esq.) died in 1703. Sir Charles Thomas Dyke Acland bart. of Killerton, is the present lord of the manor and sole landowner. . . . The chief crops are wheat and barley and some land is in pasture. The area is 1,353 acres; rateable value, £1,536; the population in 1901 was 169 in the civil and 105 in the ecclesiastical parish in 1891." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
A parish in Tiverton Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.