"LIDFORD, or Lydford, is a small ancient village, on the banks of the small river Lyd, and on the western side of Dartmoor, 7½ miles N. by E. of Tavistock. Its parish contains 280 souls, and 3064 acres of land, exclusive of DARTMOOR FOREST QUARTER, which has a scattered population of 933 souls, and extends over about 53,900 acres of wild moorland hills and dales, including the hamlets of Prince Town, Hexworthy, Huckaby, Dinnabridge, Two Bridges, and the extensive but now unoccupied Prison of War. . . . The Prince of Wales is lord of the manor, which forms, with the forest, part of his Duchy of Cornwall. Lidford, though now only an indifferent village, was anciently a borough, and had a grant for a market in 1267. It is said to have had the honour of entertaining Julius Caesar and his army on his second expedition to Britain. . . . Lidford Castle, which has been long reduced to a mere shell, is the place where the stannary courts were held till the latter part of the last century, . . . Lidford Bridge crosses, by a single arch of only a few feet span, over a dark and apparently interminable chasm, under which the river Lyd is heard falling 50 or 60 feet beneath. . . . Lidford Church (St. Petrock,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and is in the lancet style of the 13th century. The rectory . . . is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. John Rooke Fletcher, D.D., of Quethiock, Cornwall. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Princetown Prison had a chapel from 1807. The parish included all of Dartmoor Forest, but its Southern and Eastern borders were confused, so see also Widecombe in the Moor and other neighbouring parishes. Information is provided separately about Dartmoor in general, but items which explictly relate just to Lydford, Dartmoor Forest, and other places within Lydford are listed here.